Phone: (352) 294-4997
Clinical and Translational Research Building
2004 Mowry Road, Suite 2243
PO Box 100177
Gainesville, FL 32610-0177
- Ph.D., Economics, Wayne State University
- M.A., Economics, University of South Florida
- M.B.A., Business Administration, University of South Florida
- B.S., Management Information Systems, University of South Florida
Dr. Salloum is an assistant professor in the Department of Health Outcomes & Biomedical Informatics at the University of Florida College of Medicine and a member of the UF Health Cancer Center and the Institute for Child Health Policy. He is a health services researcher whose work has consistently focused on decision making across the cancer prevention and control continuum, including prevention, screening, and treatment. His research considers the influence of guidelines and incentives on the demand for health and healthcare across the cancer control continuum.
He is the recipient of two NCI-supported fellowships from the Health Care Systems Research Network (HCSRN)’s Cancer Research Network (CRN) Scholars Program (2015-2017); and the Mentored Training for Dissemination and Implementation Research in Cancer (MT-DIRC) Program (2016-2018). Given his research experiences in studying the provision of healthcare services, his goal is to increase the uptake of innovative value-added cancer prevention and control strategies by improving our understanding of patient values and preferences, and enhancing stakeholder engagement.
- Tobacco control
- Health preference measurement
- Implementation science
- Health economics
- Cancer control and prevention
- Discount stores’ tobacco sales tied to more women smoking while pregnant, UF Health study finds
- HOBI Faculty Member Receives Grant to Examine Economics of Waterpipe Tobacco Smoking
- HOBI Faculty Members Participate in Cancer Research Conference for Science Teachers
- HOP Faculty Member to Serve as Vice Chair for ASPO Special Interest Group
- HOP Faculty Member Selected to Serve on AAP Tobacco Consortium
- HOP Researcher Says Study Documenting E-Cigarette Use Among Cancer Survivors Raises Concerns
- HOP Researcher Calls for Increased Research on Waterpipe in AJPH Commentary
- Two HOP Faculty Members Selected as NCI Cancer Fellows at Washington University in St. Louis
- Local Newspaper Features HOP Faculty
- New HOP Faculty Member Joins Cancer Research Network 2015 Scholar Cohort
- Larger and private colleges and universities more likely to attract hookah establishments
- Warren GW, Cartmell KB, Garrett-Mayer E, Salloum RG, Cummings KM. Attributable Failure of First-line Cancer Treatment and Incremental Costs Associated With Smoking by Patients With Cancer. JAMA Netw Open. 2019;2(4):e191703.
- Young-Wolff KC, Adams SR, Tan AS, Adams AS, Klebaner D, Campbell CI, Satre DD, Salloum RG, Carter-Harris L, Prochaska JJ. Disparities in knowledge and use of tobacco treatment among smokers in California following healthcare reform. Prev Med Rep. 2019 Mar 15:100847.
- Hall J, Cho HD, Guo Y, Maldonado-Molina MM, Thompson LA, Shenkman EA, Salloum RG. Association of Rates of Smoking During Pregnancy With Corporate Tobacco Sales Policies. JAMA Pediatrics. 2019 Jan 14.
- Lee J, Striley CW, Custodero C, Rocha HA, Salloum RG. Association of pleasant sensations at cigarette smoking initiation with subsequent tobacco product use among US adolescents. Addict Behav. 2019 Feb 1;89:151-5.
- Salloum RG, Theis RP, Pbert L, Gurka MJ, Porter M, Lee D, Shenkman EA, Thompson LA. Stakeholder Engagement in Developing an Electronic Clinical Support Tool for Tobacco Prevention in Adolescent Primary Care. Children. 2018 Dec;5(12):170.
- Berg CJ, Fong GT, Thrasher JF, Cohen JE, Maziak W, Lando H, Drope J, Mejia R, Barnoya J, Nakkash R, Salloum RG, Parascandola M. The impact and relevance of tobacco control research in low-and middle-income countries globally and to the US. Addict Behav. 2018 Dec 1;87:162-8.
- Stedman-Falls LM, Dallery J, Salloum RG. Discrete Choice Experiments on The Acceptability of Monetary-Based Health Treatments: A Replication and Extension to Deposit Contracts. Psychol Rec. 2018 Dec 1;68(4):501-12.
- Salloum RG, Nakkash R, Abu-Rmeileh NM, Hamadeh RR, Darawad MW, Kheirallah KA, Al-Farsi Y, Yusufali A, Thomas J, Mostafa A, Salama M. Individual-level determinants of waterpipe smoking demand in four Eastern-Mediterranean countries. Health Promot Int. 2018 Nov 8.
- Darawad MW, Salloum R, Alhussami M, Maharmeh M. Evaluating health warning messages specific to waterpipe smoking among university students in Jordan. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2018 Nov.
- Asfar T, Ben Taleb Z, Osibogun O, Ruano-Herreria EC, Sierra D, Ward KD, Salloum RG, Maziak W. How Do Waterpipe Smoking Establishments Attract Smokers? Implications for Policy. Subst Use Misuse. 2018 Oct 15:1-2.
- Ortiz K, Cuevas AG, Salloum R, Lopez N, LaVeist-Ramos T. Intra-Ethnic Racial Differences in Waterpipe Tobacco Smoking among Latinos? Subst Use Misuse. 2018 Jul 19:1-0.
- Salloum RG, Lee J, Porter M, Dallery J, McDaniel AM, Bian J, Thrasher JF. Evidence-based tobacco treatment utilization among dual users of cigarettes and E-cigarettes. Prev Med. 2018 Sep 1;114:193-9.
- Osibogun O, Taleb ZB, Bahelah R, Salloum RG, Maziak W. Correlates of poly-tobacco use among youth and young adults: Findings from the Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health study, 2013–2014. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018 Jun 1;187:160-4.
- Banegas MP, Yabroff KR, O’Keeffe-Rosetti MC, Ritzwoller DP, Fishman PA, Salloum RG, Lafata JE, Hornbrook MC. Medical Care Costs Associated With Cancer in Integrated Delivery Systems. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2018 Apr 1;16(4):402-10.
- Ramanadhan S, Davis MM, Armstrong R, Baquero B, Ko LK, Leng JC, Salloum RG, Vaughn NA, Brownson RC. Participatory implementation science to increase the impact of evidence-based cancer prevention and control. Cancer Causes Control. 2018 Mar 1;29(3):363-9.
- Salloum RG, George TJ, Silver N, Markham MJ, Hall JM, Guo Y, Bian J, Shenkman EA. Rural-urban and racial-ethnic differences in awareness of direct-to-consumer genetic testing. BMC Public Health. 2018 Dec;18(1):277.
- Thrasher JF, Islam F, Davis RE, Popova L, Lambert V, Cho YJ, Salloum RG, Louviere J, Hammond D. Testing cessation messages for cigarette package inserts: Findings from a best/worst discrete choice experiment. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018 Feb 6;15(2):282.
- Thrasher JF, Anshari D, Lambert-Jessup V, Islam F, Mead E, Popova L, Salloum R, Moodie C, Louviere J, Lindblom EN. Assessing smoking cessation messages with a discrete choice experiment. Tob Regul Sci. 2018 Mar 1;4(2):73-87.
- Turner E, Fedele DA, Thompson L, Salloum RG. Patterns of electronic cigarette use in youth with asthma: Results from a nationally representative sample. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2018 Feb 1;120(2):220-2.
- Lee MJ, Khan MM, Salloum RG. Recent Trends in Cost-Related Medication Nonadherence Among Cancer Survivors in the United States. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2018 Jan;24(1):56-64.
- Bian J, Zhao Y, Salloum RG, Guo Y, Wang M, Prosperi M, Zhang H, Du X, Ramirez-Diaz LJ, He Z, Sun Y. Using Social Media Data to Understand the Impact of Promotional Information on Laypeople’s Discussions: A Case Study of Lynch Syndrome. J Med Internet Res. 2017 Dec;19(12).
- Salloum RG, Shenkman EA, Louviere JJ, Chambers DA. Application of discrete choice experiments to enhance stakeholder engagement as a strategy for advancing implementation: a systematic review. Implement Sci. 2017 Nov 23;12(1):140.
- Young-Wolff KC, Klebaner D, Folck B, Carter-Harris L, Salloum RG, Prochaska JJ, Fogelberg R, Tan ASL. Do you vape? Leveraging electronic health records to assess clinician documentation of electronic nicotine delivery system use among adolescents and adults. Prev Med. 2017 Dec;105:32-36.
- Tan ASL, Young-Wolff KC, Carter-Harris L, Salloum RG, Banerjee SC. Disparities in the Receipt of Tobacco Treatment Counseling within the US Context of the Affordable Care Act and Meaningful Use Implementation. Nicotine Tob Res. 2017 Oct 20.
- Salloum RG, Abu-Rmeileh N, Hamadeh R, Thomas J, Mostafa A, Yusufali A, Kheirallah KA, Macauda MM, Theis RP, El Kadi L, Johnson EJ, Darawad MW, Nakkash R. Policy-Relevant Context of Waterpipe Tobacco Smoking among University Students in Six Countries Across the Eastern Mediterranean Region: A Qualitative Study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2017 Sep 27;18(9):2533-2540.
- Ortiz K, Mamkherzi J, Salloum R, Matthews AK, Maziak W. Waterpipe tobacco smoking among sexual minorities in the United States: Evidence from the National Adult Tobacco Survey (2012-2014). Addict Behav. 2017 Nov;74:98-105.
- Salloum RG, Louviere JJ, Getz KR, Islam F, Anshari D, Cho Y, O’Connor RJ, Hammond D, Thrasher JF. Evaluation of strategies to communicate harmful and potentially harmful constituent (HPHC) information through cigarette package inserts: a discrete choice experiment. Tob Control. 2017 Jul 13. pii: tobaccocontrol-2016-053579.
- Eastern Mediterranean Consortium on the Economics of Waterpipe Tobacco Smoking (ECON-WTS): Capacity Building and Knowledge Translation
- Implementation Strategies to Improve Tobacco Treatment at the UF Health Cancer Center
- OneFlorida Cancer Control Alliance
- Waterpipe Tobacco Smoking among University Students: Testing Policy and Prevention Tools using a Discrete Choice Experiment
- A Preference-Based Decision Aid for Tobacco Prevention in Adolescent Primary Care
- 2019-2021 Chair, ASPO Global Cancer Research SIG
- 2017-present Member, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Tobacco Consortium
- 2017-2018 Vice-Chair, ASPO International Issues in Cancer SIG
- 2017 Exemplary Teacher Award, UF College of Medicine
- 2016-2018 Fellow, NCI Mentored Training in Dissemination and Implementation Research (MT-DIRC)
- 2016-2017 Member, SRNT Global Health Network – Advisory Committee
- 2016-2017 Member, OneFlorida Cancer Control Alliance – Scientific Advisory Committee
- 2015-2017 Scholar, NCI Cancer Research Network (CRN) Scholars Program
- GMS 6851 – Fundamentals of Dissemination and Implementation Research