The Increasing Diversity, Equity and Access (IDEA) summer internship program in the UF College of Medicine’s Department of Health Outcomes and Biomedical Informatics is a 10-week multidisciplinary research training program focused on improving health outcomes and equity across diverse populations.
The program is open to talented and motivated UF minority undergraduate students who are underrepresented in biomedical research and are interested in learning more about research opportunities and graduate education programs in health outcomes, implementation science and biomedical informatics. Underrepresented minorities in biomedical research include students who identify as Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, and/or Native, but all minority undergraduate students at UF may apply.
Interns selected to participate in the program will be matched with a current Ph.D. student and faculty mentor from HOBI.
The program consists of:
- an instructional curriculum
- independent reading
- training in responsible conduct of research
- research and educational meetings
- interactions with established scientists
- peer linkage
- career development opportunities
The program will culminate with a written and oral project presentation to HOBI faculty and students.
Students selected to participate in the program will receive a $2,000 stipend based on a 10-hour work week.
The program is open to minority undergraduate students who:
- are underrepresented in biomedical research (including students who identify as Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, and/or Native American/Alaskan Native/Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander).
- are currently enrolled full time at UF and are entering their junior or senior year in Fall 2022.
- have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
How to Apply
Interested students should apply by March 31, 2022 for consideration in the Summer 2022 program.
Please include the following in your application:
- A Statement of Purpose addressing your career goals, interest in the IDEA Internship Program and how it will aid in your professional development.
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals (personal recommendations will not be accepted).
- Resume or CV.
Applications should be emailed as a complete package to HOBI-Education@lists.ufl.edu with the subject “IDEA Summer 2022 Internship Application.”