M.S. in Medical Sciences, Biomedical Informatics
The University of Florida’s Master of Science in Medical Sciences with a concentration in Biomedical Informatics is a specialized degree designed to prepare students for academic or practical, hands-on careers in biomedical informatics. The mission of the program is to train a diverse workforce of professionals, researchers, and leaders, with multidisciplinary training in computer science, health and medicine, biostatistics, data science and analytics, engineering, and research methodology.
The program focuses on developing a theoretical and practical understanding of a wide range of informatics-related topics in biology, healthcare, and public health, and on their applications to improving health-related outcomes.
Gain skills in biomedical informatics
- Acquire professional perspective on the history and values of the field and its connections to related domains, and the ability to evaluate critically the BMI literature.
- Analyze problems and produce solutions, from information to knowledge discovery.
- Create new paradigms, frameworks, and processes to address BMI problems.
- Work effectively and efficiently in a multidisciplinary setting, with experts from several domains.
- Disseminate the new information and knowledge acquired in the field to experts and non-experts alike.
Who should apply?
The program is designed to be accessible to students with a background in computer science, public health, biological sciences, and data-centered sciences. In addition to traditional graduate students, the course of study is also useful for those interested in gaining skills in biomedical informatics to complement their existing career as a physician, nurse, other healthcare professional, IT professional, or clinical or non-clinical researcher. Our program is available to medical students, post-doctoral researchers, fellows, residents, Ph.D. students, and junior faculty.
Not sure you’re ready for a full degree program in biomedical informatics? Find out more about the Graduate Certificate in Biomedical Informatics.