Phone: (352) 294-5969
Fax: (352) 265-8047
Clinical and Translational Research Building
2004 Mowry Road, Suite 2251
PO Box 100177
Gainesville, FL 32610-0177
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- MSPH, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- B.S., Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
The increasing complexity of today’s biomedical research requires more than the traditional, single point-of-view approaches. In particular, data-driven approaches that can reveal patterns in massive heterogeneous datasets and make clinically relevant predictions are becoming increasingly common in translational research. I have a strong, multi-disciplinary background in predictive modeling, data integration, path analysis, mediation and moderation analysis, patient-reported outcomes, psychometric analysis, social media data analysis, and social media-delivered health interventions. Together, my areas of expertise serve an overarching research theme: data-driven precision and public health supporting clinical (shared) decision making and multilevel health interventions.
Under the overarching theme, my research areas and expertise can be divided into: 1) Electronic health records (EHR)-based phenotyping and risk stratification – the identification of sub-populations with certain conditions or at higher risk for diseases; 2) Causal modeling and inference – the examination of causal relationships and pathways in clinical research, particularly treatment studies; 3) Patient-reported outcomes (PROs) in clinical and public health applications – the development, validation, assessment, analysis, and reporting of PROs among various populations, especially vulnerable populations; and 4) Social media analysis and social media-delivered intervention – mining social media data to study health behavior and health outcomes in various populations and developing social media-delivered interventions that promote public and consumer health.
- EHR-Based Phenotyping and Risk Stratification
- Causal Modeling and Inference
- Patient-Reported Outcomes (PROs)
- Social Media Analysis and Social Media-Delivered Intervention
- Cancer Health Disparities
- Exemplary Teacher Award, UF College of Medicine, 2019
- Exceptional reviewer, The Journal of Rural Health, 2018–2019
- UF Health Shands Rose Rivers Chrysalis Award for Evolving Research, 2019
- Travel Award, the South Big Data Hub 2016
- HOBI Faculty Members’ Article to be Included in 2018 IMIA Yearbook of Medical Informatics
- HOBI Faculty to Host “2018 Data Science in Health Informatics Summer Workshop”
- HOP Faculty Receive AMIA 2017 Distinguished Paper Award
- HOP Faculty Member Invited to Talk about Study Design at the Arkansas Children’s Hospital Research Institute
- HOP Faculty Awarded Pilot Grant for Facebook App to Increase Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Campaign increases first-time mouth and throat cancer screenings among low-income rural Floridians
- Research Team Finds Better Communication is Key to Overall Oral Health
- Interdisciplinary Team of Researchers Publishes Findings Linking Health Literacy with Better Oral Health
- Guo Y*, Vogel WB, Muller KE, Stoner D, Huo T, Shenkman EA. The Wellness Incentive and Navigation intervention improved health-related quality of life among Medicaid enrollees: A randomized pragmatic clinical trial. Health Serv Res. 2019 Oct 22;. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.13235. PubMed PMID: 31642066.
- Bian J, Buchan I, Guo Y, Prosperi M. Statistical thinking, machine learning. J Clin Epidemiol. 2019 Aug 16. pii: S0895-4356(19)30495-0. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2019.08.003. PubMed PMID: 31425737.
- He X, Zhang R, Rizvi R, Vasilakes J, Yang X, Guo Y, He Z, Prosperi M, Huo J, Alpert J, Bian J. ALOHA: developing an interactive graph-based visualization for dietary supplement knowledge graph through user-centered design. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2019 Aug 8;19(Suppl 4):150. doi: 10.1186/s12911-019-0857-1. PubMed PMID: 31391091.
- Huo J, Hong YR, Bian J, Guo Y, Wilkie DJ, Mainous AG 3rd. Low Rates of Patient-Reported Physician-Patient Discussion about Lung Cancer Screening among Current Smokers: Data from Health Information National Trends Survey. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2019 May;28(5):963-973. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-18-0629. PubMed PMID: 31023697.
- Ge S, Lu H, Li Q, Logan HL, Dodd VJ, Bian J, Shenkman EA, Guo Y*. Classification Tree Analysis of Factors Associated with Oral Cancer Exam. Am J Health Behav. 2019 May 1;43(3):635-647. doi: 10.5993/AJHB.43.3.16. PubMed PMID: 31046892.
- Zhao Y†, Guo Y†, He X, Wu Y, Yang X, Prosperi M, Jin Y, Bian J. Assessing mental health signals among sexual and gender minorities using Twitter data. Health Informatics J. 2019 Apr 10;:1460458219839621. doi: 10.1177/1460458219839621. PubMed PMID: 30969146.
- Guo Y, Bian J, Modave F, Li Q, George TJ, Prosperi M, Shenkman E. Assessing the effect of data integration on predictive ability of cancer survival models. Health Informatics J. 2019 Jan 23;:1460458218824692. doi: 10.1177/1460458218824692. PubMed PMID: 30672356.
- Hall J, Cho HD, Guo Y, Maldonado-Molina MM, Thompson LA, Shenkman EA, Salloum RG. Association of Rates of Smoking During Pregnancy With Corporate Tobacco Sales Policies. JAMA Pediatr. 2019 Jan 14;. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2018.4598. PubMed PMID: 30640377; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6439885.
- Testing Additional Pediatric Quality Measures: Extraction of Permanent Molar and Treatment in Sealed Occlusal Surface
- GMS 6822: Measuring and Analyzing Health Outcomes
- GMS 6812 Health Outcomes Research in Cancer